Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Monday, September 29, 2008

Hurricane Ike in Ohio



We finally have power.  Yes, we were one of the lucky ones who did not have power from Sunday at 3:30 pm till the following Sunday at 6:30 pm.  This past week we were finally back to normal!  My sister, living in the Keys, naturally  had to evacuate. Of course Ike didn't even really affect them in the like projected.  I certainly didn't expect us to get hit so hard!  It was the strangest thing though...no rain but the wind was really strong and you could actually hear trees breaking.  The first night was the worst because I was in the middle of doing all my weekly chores.  I just sat down waiting for the power to come back...and waiting, and waiting!  Daren was happy as a clam getting his "emergency kit" out of the basement and putting it to use.  He has this gigantic flash light that has a car charger outlet on it allowing us to watch DVD's every night on our portable DVD player. By Friday...I have to say it got old!  (And our little secret, Daren drained his truck battery from charging so many things throughout the week).  Then my cousins were in town, talk about lousy hosting on our part.  We provided them with a place to sleep, flashlights, and warm water!  Good thing they're family, I know they'll come back!  Although we were without power for a week, we were very fortunate our house is intact, we have a gas water heater, and nobody we know suffered great losses!  BUT, big thanks to AEP for saving my sanity!

No comments: